Hong Kong film production was once known to be the Hollywood of the East. The city has exported many movies to different places of the world and many of you would have heard of the name – Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, and Jet Li. While the Hong Kong creative industry has fall into decline in recent decades, the Hong Kong Government is now trying its best to improve the business environment and to support the creative industry.
If you are in the creative industry, you may want to have a look at the Creative Smart Initiative scheme after you complete the Hong Kong company setup process. The Hong Kong Government introduced the scheme in 2009. The purpose is to develop better creative industries in Hong Kong in which activities are related to advertising, architecture, design, digital entertainment, film, publishing, print, television and music. Successful applicants will receive government funding support.
If you are interested in this government funding, your program must meet the followings:
- To foster talents in the creative industry
- To support development of creative establishments
- To increase demand and market size of the creative industry
- To support expansion in new market, that is the Mainland China or overseas
- To facilitate exchange of experience in the community
Film Development Fund
Other than the Creative Smart Initiative scheme, there is another similar government funding – The Film Development Fund – which supports projects that can benefit the film industry in Hong Kong. Not only does it support low budget film productions, the fund provides subsidy to different local Cantonese film producer.
In order to be eligible for the program, you must have a valid business registration in Hong Kong. The applicant or the film director shall also have a traceable record that they have produced at least two released films before the date of application. The proposed film project must also meet the following requirement.
- The movie project shall be used for commercial theatrical exhibition in Hong Kong.
- The length of the film shall be more than 80 minutes.
- The production budget shall not exceed $60 million.
- All film directors must be permanent Hong Kong ID card holders.
- The project shall hire at least one permanent Hong Kong ID card holder as the main film crew and cast.
- The project should have secured 3rd party financing and it should be commercially sustainable.
If you want to know more about the program, you can visit the website of the Hong Kong Film Development council for details.
Networking events organized by Get Started HK
If you are interested to know more about government funding in Hong Kong, you can subscribe our event channel at firstname.lastname@example.org. Get Started HK organizes events for its Hong Kong incorporation customers from time to time. Our Hong Kong incorporation experts usually share information about new laws, trade fairs, business opportunities and government support. You can also meet other entrepreneurs to expand your network. Join us and be part of our community!